Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Returning to work

In a few days I go back to work full-time. Truthfully, I have mixed feelings about it because I like having free time to write, keep up my house, run errands, or watch movies in the afternoon. It is a blessing because the unemployment extensions run out at the end of year and who knows if they'll be continued given the current chaos in the gov and the upcoming elections.

I have enjoyed my on and off again time of being unemployed. The extra time has allowed me to launch my writing career and given me much needed rest time. I'm not saying there hasn't been a down side. Finances have been tight and I haven't been able to travel very much, the latter of which I enjoy doing .

There are still looming deadlines which I have to make and learning to better manage my time will be a challenge in order to meet them. I know of many writers who both work and write. Today's economic climate demands they do so because writing is considered a 'hobby' and not a real profession. Besides, I don't know of many writers who would thrive living on the streets or in their cars.

So as I toddle off to rejoin the rat race I keep in mind that the money generated will be keep a roof over my head and food on my table. What I will be doing isn't my 'real' career. It never will be. It's what I call the 'money job' since all I ever think about is writing.

I am a writer. Plain and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment