Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

MileHiCon post report

Over the weekend I attended MileHiCon, our local literary Science Fiction Convention. I was on three panels, one on each day, plus I had a reading during the final hour on Sunday. Most of the rest of the time I either attended panels, caught up with fellow writers and/or friends, or hung out at the WolfSinger Publications table in the dealers room.

A little about the panels, my first panel was 'What we want from the new Doctor Who'. It was a great discussion about favorite villains, companions, and yes, River Song will be back or so I was told, and questions about the choice for the new doctor.

Saturday I was part of a panel discussing food allergies and how in the world do you eat when away from home? It was called 'Eating outside the mainstream'. While such a discussion is not the norm for conventions, it was very informative about a growing problem in our society and how cooking for scratch is a life saver for those of us who have to watch what we eat.

I also attended the Spirituality & Spaceships panel which incorporated God or a higher being into SF/F/H stories and what authors have done this well. It was excellent discussion making both the panelists and audience think.

My last panel was Border Crossing:Non-Western Fantasy. It was made up of panelists all of which were using mythos of cultures that are not the normal medieval European. The moderator had great questions and it was a lively panel talking about why the authors used different cultural backgrounds in their work. I think this the best panel all weekend.

Finally, I did a reading with author Courtney Schafer. We had an audience and afterward we answered questions on our work. I sold three copies of my book 'Winter Awakening' and was complimented by Guest author Ian Tregillis for an excellent reading. I hadn't even realized he was in the audience.

Other outcomes: Got updated from various authors on where they are on their submissions for either 'Different Dragons' or 'Supernatural Colorado'. Some are doing both. Found a back up publisher for 'Supernatural Colorado' just because of the authors I have submitting to it.

Fellow author Julie Campbell and I pitched our collaboration to Carol Hightshoe for WolfSinger Publications. She said, 'When you get it done, I want it.'

Pitched an unfinished novel to Maggie Bonham from Sky Warrior books. After giving me some wonderful feedback, she told me to sent it when it was completed.

Had several folks drop by the WolfSinger table and say, 'When is the sequel to 'Winter Awakening' coming out.' Including my publisher so guess which book gets done next?

Found out 'God's Gift', my next book, will be be coming out either later this year or early next year.

Also, Carol told me she knows I'll be moving on up in the publishing world. First person who has told me that. While it scared me, I'm happy to know that at least someone has faith in my writing.

A lot of writers let me know that I am a wonderful editor and that they love writing for me. Wow! What a great compliment!!!!

All in all, a great weekend and I enjoyed reconnecting with folks I only see maybe once or twice a year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment