Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Definitely Sympathize

I got a good lesson over the weeknd on why it's important to give agents and editors a break during conference.

I'm editing an anthology called 'Different Dragons'. While attending MileHiCon, our local literary Science Fiction Convention, I spent most of my day Saturday taking pitches, or having my brain picked for information on writing. It got to the point that I went and hid at my publishers dealer's table, just to get away from writers.

It's not that I minded taking their pitches or talking with them. There just comes a point when I needed a break so I could talk with the next writer who wanted a bit of my time and experience.

This being said, the next time I see an editor or agent in the bar, or in the ladie's room or some other place, I'm going to be mindful that I need to respect their space and give them time to themselves.Yes, they're there to take pitches, as I was over the weekend, but sometimes, they need to be allowed to enjoy themselves and recharge their 'engines'.

Yes, I'd love to pitch, but I need to ask if it's a good time and if it isn't, arrange to talk with them later. In the long run, it will be better for me, or even you, the want to be published writer.


No comments:

Post a Comment